If you've got an avid interest in clocks and watches, you might want to consider a trip to The National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, PA. The museum, with more than 12,000 items on site displayed in 18,000 square feet, has the largest and most comprehensive horological collection in North America.
Some of the highlights of the museum include:
- water clocks developed in China and the Middle East
- some of the earliest examples of mechanical clocks from 17th-century Florence
- unusual "grandfather" and cuckoo clocks
- early pocket watches and wristwatches
- rare Hamilton watches from nearby Lancaster, the original headquarters of the famous watch manufacturer