As always, Baselworld is ground zero for emerging trends and themes on the product front. Here's where watch design seem to be headed in 2012 and beyond:
- The trend we first saw in 2010 toward understated and classic watch designs has accelerated in part because consumers in emerging markets, like China, prefer them. That means many vintage and retro watch designs based on past, successful models.
- Ceramic seems to be the consensus alternative material of choice for cases and bezels.
- Mesh bracelets, once popular in the 1960s and 1970s, are catching on again.
- Two-tone watch designs, especially gold and steel, are popular.
- World and multi-zone timers, such as the Glycine Airman SST 12 (pictured above), are in high demand.