The two big Swiss watch shows of 2008 in Geneva and Basel produced some clear trends:
- Large (and ever larger) cases are more popular than ever
- Exposed dials revealing the mechanical works are in vogue
- Ceramic materials, which are light, strong, and highly scratch resistant, are in demand
- Limited edition models are popular
- Rose gold and white gold are red hot
Among the major brands, Rolex got a lot of buzz for three new models, including the redesigned Sea Dweller Deep Sea, which can go very deep indeed.